Tuesday, 24 September 2013

It is Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week 2013

I Have just received an email from Irishlandlord.com that it is Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week.

The dangers associated with carbon monoxide are promoted to the general public every year through television, radio, press, digital and direct mail advertising.  This year, however, in an effort to do something different and to generate greater public engagement on the subject of carbon monoxide, a dedicated Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week is being held from September 23rd to September 29th.  

If you are letting out your property:
  • Make sure that all appliances are installed and serviced annually by a registered gas installer, registered oil technician or qualified service agent for your fuel type
  • Sweep chimneys regularly and make sure they are kept clear
  • Check that tenants have not blocked air vents (they often do)
  • Ensure the rooms in your property containing heating or cooking appliances are properly ventilated
  • Install an audible CO alarm - every rental property should be fitted with a carbon monoxide alarm, it could save a life.
Carbon Monoxide can be produced when ANY fuel is burnt, including oil, gas, wood and coal.

Carbon Monoxide is odourless and colourless so for added protection install an audible carbon monoxide alarm.  Make sure the alarm complies with EN 50291, carries a CE mark, has an end of life indicator and carries an independent certification mark.

Unfortunately in the Republic of Ireland it is not mandatory to have gas appliances checked annually by law when a property is let out.

For rental properties in Northern Ireland together with England, Scotland and Wales all gas appliances must have an annual check by a qualified gas engineer and a certificate issued and one of these has to be carried out before a property can be let.  The engineer must be Gas Safe registered. Gas Safe is the official list of gas engineers who are registered to work safely and legally on boilers, cookers, fires and all other gas appliances including Northern Ireland.

If this idea was introduced into the Republic of Ireland, it would naturally add expenses for the landlord, however if the landlord is doing what they should do, having the appliances serviced annually then it would not cost much more. However it would mean that no one could let out their property without an annual safety check.

For more information on Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week 2013 visit their website Here

Gas Safe Website for Northern Ireland - Here

Source: Irishlandlord.com and Carbonmonoxide.ie

No comments:

Post a comment